Those good folks Mark and Steve of the Beer O'Clock Show are bringing back their much celebrated, often copied but never surpassed 12 beers of Christmas for another turn this year. Christmas is a great time for drinking beer. Well, all year round is a great time for drinking beer but Christmas always feels a bit special. A chance to reflect on the year that's been and look forward to the coming new year, or perhaps just an excuse to open a special bottle you've been saving.
The concept of 12 Beers of Christmas is a simple one - open a beer every day from the 20th December to New Year's Eve and drink it. What could be simpler? If you like, you can tweet, blog, instagram or whatever the cool kids are doing these days (see the post linked about for details) but the main thing is to enjoy that beer - you've earned it! So, on to the beers.
For whatever reason, I missed out on all the excitement of this year's Rainbow Project, an initiative that sees some of the best breweries out there come together and get creative. This year was the second running of this great idea, organised by Ryan Witter of Siren Craft Brew. The kind folks are Siren put a mixed case of theses sought after beers aside for me and I reckon it makes perfect sense to drink all seven one day after the next, to give them the full attention they deserve, so:
- Day 1 – Saturday 20 December – Siren and De Molen (Violet): Empress Stout 8.5% - Imperial Stout
- Day 2 – Sunday 21 December – Buxton and Omnipollo (Yellow): Yellow Belly - Peanut Butter and Biscuit Imperial Stout
- Day 3 – Monday 22 December – Magic Rock and Evil Twin (Red): Pogonophobia - Dry Hopped Flanders Red
- Day 4 – Tuesday 23 December – Partizan and Mikkeller (Blue): Cognac BA Quadrupel
- Day 5 – Christmas Eve – Beavertown and Naparbier (Orange): The Sun Also Rises - Sherry BA Saison
- Day 6 – Christmas Day – Wild Beer and Toccalmatto (Indigo): Indigo Child - Sour
- Day 7 – Boxing Day – Hawkshead and Lervig (Green): Green Juniper and Hemp DIPA
From here, I'm going to pick off some bottles I've been saving for a rainy day:
- Day 8 – Saturday 27 December – AleSmith Barrel Aged Speedway Stout
- Day 9 – Sunday 28 December – Lost Abbey Cuvee de Tomme
- Day 10 – Monday 29 December – Russian River/Sierra Nevada Brux
- Day 11 – Tuesday 30 December – Magic Rock Bourbon Barrel Bearded Lady
- Day 12 – New Year’s Eve – BrewDog AB:04: Cacao/Chilli Imperial Stout